welcome to oneFAPvoice- a positively charged Familial Adenomatous Polyposis community.
- join today!
Albert de la Chapelle, MD, PhD Researcher
Department of Cancer Biology and Genetics
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
Places : Ohio State University Hospitals
Research in Dr. de la Chapelle’s laboratory focuses on the mapping, cloning, and characterization of high-and low-penetrance genes for cancer predisposition. When new genes are identified, studies are directed to determine the pathophysiological role of the proteins or RNA molecules they encode, and the mechanisms by which mutations in the genes contribute to the cancer phenotype. Finally, there is an emphasis on translational aspects of research viz. the exploitation of laboratory discoveries towards new diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Diseases under study include colorectal cancer, papillary thyroid cancer, acute myeloid leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Colorectal cancer is highly heritable; but only a fraction of all predisposing genes have been detected so far. Even so, screening all colorectal and endometrial cancer patients for mutations in the mismatch repair genes (Lynch syndrome) is practically feasible and desirable, because it can save lives through clinical surveillance of targeted high-risk family members.
Education & Training:
MD, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1957
PhD, Human Genetics, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1962
Internship/Residency: University of Helsinki, Finland, 1965
Postdoctoral Training: Biochemistry, Columbia University, 1968
Subspecialty Training: University of Helsinki, Finland, 1965, 1986
Training: Molecular Genetics, Institute of Molecular Pathology, Paris, France, 1981
expertly curated content related to this topic
- Arnold J. Markowitz, MDArnold J. Markowitz is a board-certified...
- Department of Surgery, University of MinnesotaThe Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery...
- Susan K. Peterson, PhD, MPHDr. Susan K. Peterson is a member at The...
- benjamin fryerTeam Leader, CMC, Cardiomyocyte Cell Man...
- Steven Wexner, MD, PhDSteven D. Wexner, MD, PhD (Hon), FACS, F...
- Lawrence C. Rusin, MDSpecialities/Interests: Anorectal Diseas...
- Vanderbilt – Ingram Cancer CenterVanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center is one o...