welcome to oneFAPvoice- a positively charged Familial Adenomatous Polyposis community.
- join today!
Ursodeoxycholic Acid in the Treatment of Duodenal Adenomas in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) Patients
study id #: NCT00134758
condition: Adenomatous Polyposis Coli, Familial
status: Status unknownpurpose:
Malignant transformation of adenomas of the duodenum is now the leading cause of death in familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) patients who had a restorative proctocolectomy. Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) modifies the biliary acid profile and could reduce the severity of duodenal adenomas and prevent such transformation.
Drug: Ursodeoxycholic acid
start date: October 2004
estimated completion: June 2009
last updated: July 29, 2009
phase of development: Phase 2, Phase 3
size / enrollment: 90
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
We designed a randomized double blinded study to evaluate the efficiency of UDCA in the treatment of duodenal adenomas. One hundred patients are planned to be included. Fifty will receive UDCA and fifty a placebo. Three duodenoscopies are planned: one before inclusion, one at the end of the first year of follow-up and one after two years of follow-up at the end of the protocol. These duodenoscopies are associated to endoscopies of the ileal reservoir performed at the time of restorative proctocolectomy and are recorded numerically. Severity of the duodenal adenomas are evaluated according to the SPIGELMAN score. Patients are seen every 6 months. Before each endoscopy, blood samples are collected for biliary acid profile analysis. Moreover, during endoscopies, duodenal fluid and ileal fluid are collected for biliary acid profile analysis, also.
At the end of the follow-up of the last patients included (nov 2008), biliary acid profile analysis will be performed and statistical analysis of the results will be performed.
- SPIGELMAN severity score of duodenal lesion after 2 years of follow-up [ Time Frame:Baseline ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Cellular proliferation (Ki 67 and PCNA) [ Time Frame: At the baseline, 1 and 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Biliary acid profile [ Time Frame: At the baseline, 1 and 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Compliance to the treatment [ Time Frame: Every 6 months during 2 years ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Male or female patients between 18 and 65 years of age
- Weight less than or equal to 100 kg
- Restorative proctocolectomy
- Activated protein C (APC) mutation identified or more than 100 polyps on the colectomy specimen
- SPIGELMAN score of duodenal adenoma greater than or equal to 1
- Efficient contraceptive treatment for pre-menopausal women
- Cooperative patient
- Signed consent
- Social security insurance
- SPIGELMAN score of duodenal adenoma equal to 4 with severe dysplasia
- Hepatic disease
- Intermesenteric desmoid tumour
- Any severe disease
- Daily use during the last 3 months of:
2. non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs;
expertly curated content related to this topic
Genetics, Inheritance and Strategies for Prevention in Populations at High Risk of Colorectal Cancer (CRC)Hereditary forms of colorectal cancer ac...
CEO Jeff Jacob Talks About FAP Trial (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPLjl6B...
Colorectal Polyps in Childhood: Recent Advances in Genetics, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Polyps in the Large Intesti...PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Colorectal polyps ar...
A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Prevention Trial of Aspirin and/or Resistant Starch in Young People with Familial Ad...Evidence supporting aspirin and resistan...
Celecoxib in a 12-Year-Old Boy with Familial Adenomatous PolyposisFamilial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) is ...
Celecoxib and Tauro-Ursodeoxycholic Acid Co-Treatment Inhibits Cell Growth in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis Derived...Chemoprevention would be a desirable str...
Imatinib for Progressive and Recurrent Aggressive Fibromatosis (Desmoid Tumors): An FNCLCC/French Sarcoma Group Phas...BACKGROUND: Imatinib evaluated as a new...